Thursday, November 17, 2005


The Hidden Heart

I keep asking myself a series of questions. Do our actions as people affect more then just us? When we choose to do something in the privacy of our homes or with our friends, do those decisions resound like a bullet in a valley affecting the larger society? We seem to be more selfish then we think. Does our apathy and lack of regret affect our chidlren, our family, friends and loved ones?

Taking responsibility for one's actions has always been an important character trait for me to try and uphold. Decidedly, I am far from perfect and my inability to control my mouth has, on occasion, certainly generated a lot of trouble for me. Through an intense sense of self awareness I completely realize that because I have this urge to continually verbalize my every experience in this world, that, unintentionally, I can hurt other people [the larger whole]. Information isn't always necessary, nor is talking about everything [which I love to do].

I say these things, not from a pedestal of piety or self-righteousness, but a challenge [for me and everyone] to dig deeper and realize that what I/you do, or choose not to do can contribute to this revolution of silent acceptence. I fault myself for holding mankind higher then they should be held. On the flip side, I realize more and more that, as stated, our lives are more then ourselves, and each decision we make should be with careful thought.

It's a slippery slope, this rock of truth. It never bends, nor does it alter in its course. It's mystery is in it's discovery, it's righteousness and adherence.

J.M. Prater

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home